Sunday, March 25, 2007

Music



What does music mean to me? Well, when I was growing up, I learned many different musical instruments by taking lots of lessons. What instruments did I learn? I learned the guitar, accordion, clarinet and hand bells. The guitar I quit because of the callouses I was forming on my fingers. It was not fun.












The accordion was such a silly instrument to learn but I did so just because my dad wanted me to. I know stop laughing yes I did learn this funny looking instrument. The instrument was heavier than I was.















The clarinet I took lessons in junior high school for the band. I hated the clarinet because I would get light headed from blowing. I don't remember how long I played for but it was probably one year.








The hand bells I played in the church choir. The hand bells I loved but stopped playing because I got too old for the age group that it was for. If I had to do any of the 4 instruments that I learned again I would probably do the hand bells again. I really wish my parents took photos of me playing them back then. I have not found any photos at all. I remember going at night for practice and then playing them for the Christmas holidays. A couple of times we played for the strawberry festival during the summer time and there was one time we even went to New York City on a trip to play during the holiday season. Now the sad part is that I don't remember where we went to play. Sure wish I journaled when I was younger.

Why is music coming to me now? Why am I remembering this? Well, my in-laws are giving us their piano. I always wanted to learn how to play so now I will have the opportunity to do so. I already know how to read music but, of course, I will be slow at it since I haven't done it in a long time. Will it be like riding a bike? We will so see! This last photo is of my children sitting in front of my in-laws piano during Hanukkah. Maybe one of them will want to learn as well. I know playing the piano will take lots of practice. My mom thinks I will be good at it since I use my fingers all the time to type. He! He! Yes, I do type fast. Probably 80 words a minute still.

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

This photo was so adorable! They look so innocent! Maybe one of them will want to learn the piano. As for the accordion, I've been playing since I was 4 years old (and it was bigger than me!). No one I know or see ever plays it any more.

Karen said...

Well you probably will be good at it because you obvously have a facility for learning to play musical instruments. And the piano is such a wonderfully social instrument to play. Good luck.