Monday, March 26, 2007

Behind the - Bathtime with Triplets

Expose a funny or interesting "behind the scenes" story from your job or home. What really happens when no one else is around that we wouldn't expect? (Or maybe we would expect it, so you can confirm it for us!)

As most of you already know I am on my own raising the triplets. Yes, no help from my husband at all. He works 24/7 to support us so he's never around. As they are getting older I am finding that it's not getting easier. It is exactly the opposite, it's getting harder. They are getting into more and more stuff and the noise level in our house has definately raised up a notch with all the screaming and whining from them fighting.

At least 2 times a week I attempt bathtime. How is bathtime done with triplets? Well, I am still doing one child at a time in the kitchen sink. Yes, they still fit in my kitchen sink. They now fight on who's going to get their bath first. They run in the kitchen and hang onto my leg screaming and crying until I pick one. I try to alternate who goes first so it's fair. I play a movie or tv show for the other two to entertain them while I am bathing the one. Yesterday, was bathtime. Victoria is potty training so she ran into the bathroom while I was bathing her sister. She is almost considered potty trained because she now can do it on her own until she is done. When she is done she carries the tray out to me to show me that she had success because she wants a treat (M&M's). I am giving them treats for success. Well, this time she didn't come out. I didn't know she was in the bathroom until I was finished with Naomi. Victoria came out screaming that she was wet! WET!!!!!!! At this point my blood pressure is rising. WET!!!! How? After dressing Naomi I go to see why she is wet. I step into the bathroom. What do I see? Well, the floor is drenched. I have a flood of water all over the floor. She apparently was playing in the toilet again. I quickly wipe up the floor. I'm fuming at this point in time. Yes, lately I've been losing my temper a lot. My mind is racing. These thoughts are rushing into my head. "Why can't my husband take 1/2 hour of his time to watch them so I can do bathtime without any incidents." "Why God do you make him work so much?" "Don't you see I need his help". "By some miracle can you please at least give him some slack so he doesn't have to work so hard to support us?" "And please give me the patience so I don't hurt my children."

Well, the bathroom floor is now clean. The other two have been bathed and now it's time for storytime. After the stories they go to sleep and Mommy is left with guilt for being a raving lunatic from screaming at spilt water on the floor. Oh, this has not happened only the one time. This has happened before. I should be used to it by now. Every time I am occupied with one child the other two seem to get into some type of trouble. It may not be the water in the toilet but it could be poopie decorating, whole boxes of cereal spilled onto the floor and dragged throughout the house, bananas opened and smeared on the carpet and couch, now don't get me started on the amount of toys that are thrown all over the house where there are occasions that I wind up stepping on them and hurting my foot in the process. It's never ending messes at our house to pick up or clean up. At least I made it through another day. They are all safe and asleep. And the new day starts tomorrow. What will they get into next?

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I'm sorry that you are under all this stress but I couldn't help smiling when I read this. I've survived 2 daughters (16 months apart) and they drove me crazy but I survived! My nephew was notorious for putting the soap down the toilet bowl because he hated the girly soap. My sister used to call me at college to vent so she didn't kill him!

loonyhiker said...

I'm so sorry to laugh but I couldn't help myself. I remember those good ol' days (smile with sarcasm!) but you will survive. Remember God doesn't give you more than you can handle (but I'll be praying he gives you lots of patience). When he was deciding who to give these triplets to, he probably knew you were the perfect parents for them. I remember my sister calling me in college so that I could talk her out of killing my nephew. He was constantly flushing the dove soap down the toilet and clogging it because he hated that girly soap!

Glynis said...

I've definitely been known to lose my cool, then a few hours later I feel so guilty that I have to go track down the little monsters and give them hugs. :) You're not the only mom to go through it!

Beachcomber said...

My son is a handful sometimes but I can't imagine raising triplets. Sounds like they keep you on your toes. Maybe something will present itself so you hubby can help you out more. ((hugs))