Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Descriptive Writing Skills

Let's practice our descriptive writing skills.

Write out, in detail, what you did for the last five minutes before you sat down at the computer. Now write a second paragraph about the same five minutes, but try to include even more details.

Ambitious? Do it again, with more!

I was sitting at my computer for the last 3 hours and then when I started this blogger prompt I started to hear one of my girls coughing. I sat for a few minutes wondering if I should go up to her but when she continued to cough I decided to go up. I brought up cough medication. When I opened up the door I found my daughter Naomi standing at her crib side still coughing. I gave her some cough medication and told her to lay down. She asked for some water. So I came back downstairs to get her some water and then back upstairs again. The coughing has now stopped.

I was sitting at my computer for the last 3 hours checking e-mails, downloading digital files, coding digital files and doing a blogging catch up. When I started this blogger prompt I started to hear one of my girls coughing. It was a hacking cough at first. Then it got louder and more frequent. I sat for a few minutes wondering if I should go up to her but when she continued to cough I decided to go up. I got some cough medication ready and brought that up with me. When I opened up the door I found my daughter Naomi standing at her crib side still coughing. I gave her some cough medication and told her to lay down and try to go back to sleep. She asked for some water. I told her I would get her some and so I came back downstairs to get her a sippy cup that I filled with ice and water and then I went back upstairs again. I told her to drink some water and I went back downstairs to finish my blogging. The coughing has now stopped.

I was sitting at my computer for the last 3 hours checking e-mails, downloading digital files, coding them and trying to catch up on my blog prompts that I didn't have time to do in the past couple of days. When I started this blogger prompt I heard one of my girls coughing. It was a hacking cough at first then it got louder and more frequent. I sat for a few minutes wondering if I should go up to her but when she continued to cough I decided to go up to check on her. I got some cough medication ready before heading up the stairs and brought that with me. At the top of the steps I turned on the hallway light. I then opened up the door to the girls room and I found my daughter Naomi standing in her crib still coughing. I gave her some cough medication and told her to lay down and try to go back to sleep. She asked for some water. I told her I would get her some and so I came back downstairs to get her a sippy cup that I filled with ice and water from the refrigerator. I then went back upstairs to give it to her as I promised I would. I told her to drink some water and to lay down. I covered her with her Dora blanket and rubbed her back. I then looked into Victoria's crib since they share the same room. I was afraid all that coughing from Naomi would have woken her up. She was still sleeping, however, her pj's were thrown on the floor next to her crib. I lifted up her blanket to make sure she still had her diaper on. She did, thankfully for that duct tape. She has been found naked on numerous occasions and sometimes is drenched in urine. Luckily tonight is not one of those nights. I turned and left their room shutting the door behind me. Then shutting the light and I went back downstairs to finish my blog entry. The coughing has now stopped.

4 comments:

Karen said...

This is an interesting exercise. I enjoyed reading how your initial brief paragraph expended to paint such a detailed picture over the three iterations.

Michelle said...

great job! wow! details!

Stephanie said...

you are ambitious today! I love all the info you added in each additional try.

Stephani said...

This is AMAZING! GREAT JOB! WOW!