Thursday, December 07, 2006

Favorite Decoration

Do you have a favorite ornament or decoration that you display at this time of year? Tell us its story. All my ornaments and decorations were donated to the church when I converted 3 years ago except for a tree skirt which I quilted. I think I gave the skirt to my sister as I have no idea where I put it. It was blue and green and silver because my Christmas tree was decorated in blue and silver every year to coordinate with both Hanukkah and Christmas.

We have always had a Menorah that you plug in and use orange light bulbs in but when I converted we learned that the true Hanukkah lighting of the lights was not a light bulb but real candles. So 3 years ago I purchased a silver Menorah which you put really skinny candles in. The first year we did the blessing over the lighting of the real candles but it caused a big mess from all the wax burning and each night I had to clean it up to light more candles so last year we just used it for decoration on the kitchen table. Unfortunately, this year we will have to place it higher somewhere out of the reach of little hands since we no longer have anything on the table for them to reach. We continue to use the fake Menorah in our living room window using the orange light bulbs. Last year my husband took turns each night doing the blessing with each of our children. I'm sure we will do that again this year.

1 comment:

Glynis said...

Menorah's are so beautiful and I know it definitely gets hard to know how you can still decorate but keep things out of reach...good luck!