Thursday, December 21, 2006

5 Things in Winter

List five things that make up a perfect winter day.

Well, lets just start out by saying that I dislike winter, so, my 5 things will sound negative but I will do my best to turn it around to the positive side to make it a perfect day. Some of what I say may be a fairy tale or a dream because it will never happen in real life.

1. If the temp could be warmer than freezing. 50's are good. Anything lower than that is freezing. Well, really anything lower than 70 is cold to me. However, I can handle 50 with a nice coat and gloves. It's the colder weather that I cannot tollerate. Every winter I wind up getting chapped hands and lips from the cold weather. I'd much rather stay in the house then get all bundled up to go in that cold air. Not to mention the longer time it takes us to get out of the house with all the coats, hats, mittens, etc. It's not easy with 3 little ones who still need help getting dressed.

2. Snow that doesn't have to be shoveled or driven in. If it snowed and it was there for the day for us to play in such as sleigh ride, make snowmen and maybe snowballs would be fun. The children enjoyed the snow instead of cring. Last year they totally hated the snow. I'm hoping that this year it will be different. If the next day it melted so there was no clean up involved that would be a perfect winter snow day. If we didn't have to drive to the store or to work and didn't have to leave the house for any reason that too would be a perfect snow day. Or maybe if we had someone else shovel or snow blow our driveway and walkway so I don't have to worry about my husband having a heart attack while he's cleaning up the snow mess. Cleaning up snow is not fun and just a hassle. Can you tell I hate snow?

3. Come inside after playing in the snow to a hot cup of hot chocolate with marshmellows. Who am I kidding? A cup of hot chocolate any time is delicious.

4. If it didn't get dark so early. It gets dark here at 5 pm which is way too early in my opinion. Why does it have to get dark so early and light so early? The sun starts to show up at 6 am which wakes up everyone. Luckily I got some dark shades for the kids rooms so they can sleep longer but before I got those shades the waking up at 6 am was ridiculous.

5. If we were all healthy and didn't suffer from colds. It seems since winter is approaching we are getting more and more sicknesses in our house. We've had our share of ear infections, colds and even stomach viruses in the last 2 weeks. Last year we stayed inside the entire winter so the sicknesses were less. However, now that they are older and we are venturing out to different activities we are starting to get sick more.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I remember those days of the kiddos rising with the sun. I can so sympathize with you! Enjoy those blinds! And the hot chocolate!

heather said...

I find it depressing when it gets dark early too and the winter illness - really difficult when the kids are little I know. Good luck with the rest of the season, hope Christmas brings some cheer!!!

Laura said...

I can relate to the early sun = early wake up time. It must be even harder with 3. I hope you and the kids can enjoy some of the winter and have fun playing in the snow.

carin.c said...

Oh I could defintitely do without #5. Got a cold right now that my ds brought home form our Disney trip... and I just got over a month long cold through Nov that he brought home after a Halloween b-day party - of course the one kid he played with out of 20 had to be the one with the runny nose! Beats last xmas though when halfway into xmas day I had to excuse myself due to stomach flu - my guests must have loved that one! Luckily no one caught it. With the wonder of having children, comes plenty of dues to pay!