Saturday, February 10, 2007

Growing up

What adages, mottoes, or phrases of advice were common in your family when you were growing up? (e.g., "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." "No use crying over spilled milk." "Do what I say, not what I do.") Write about a specific incident when the phrase was used. Do those words still have any power over you?

Man I can't remember what I did yesterday or what day of the week it is and here they are trying to ask me to remember my childhood. I can't remember any phrases of advice but I do remember the wooden spoon. There was one time I did something bad (yet don't remember what) but I would hide under my bed so not to get spanked by that wooden spoon. The spoon was used by my mother. Yes, I have taken out the wooden spoon with my children on occasion I guess it's the only thing I remember that worked when I was little. I do try not to use it though on my kids because I know that I didn't like it when I was little and always said I wouldn't use it when I had children.

No comments: