Monday, April 16, 2007

Reading?

Are you currently reading anything that you'd recommend? Or maybe you have an old favorite that you recommend to everyone.


Unfortunately, I have little time to read so novels are so not on my list of things to read. I have only little bits of time throughout the day to read so mainly I read magazines, cook books, self help parenting books on toddlers, journaling and scrapbooking books. These mainly I take out from the library. My novels collect dust on my bookcase. One day I will have more time maybe when the children are in school.



At this very time I am reading Visual Chronicles by Linda Woods and Karen Dinino. It's the no-fear guide to creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos and Altered books. I'm really enjoying this book. I'm reading it cover to cover 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there. This book I bought from amazon as I thought it was a good book to actually own.


Another book that I am reading and actually participating in is called "Frozen Assets Light and Easy: How to cook for a day and eat for a month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough. Yes, I actually read the beginning of this book and 2 days ago attempted a chicken mini session. Unfortunately, my husband wasn't too thrilled with the recipes but hey, at least we have 6 meals in the freezer for the week and I don't have to stress about "What's for Dinner?" Plus it makes tons of left overs that we can actually have for lunches. My mom didn't think it was a good idea to cook 6 meals at once as it took me all day to do so but all I kept thinking was hey, I don't have to cook all week! Saves me 5 hours of my time later and also will save us money because we have meals already made and that means less times for pizza, McDonalds, and Wendy's. Those places have been a frequent lately. So it's worth a shot to try something new.

Children Book Recommendation this month are
:

Rain by Robert Kalan. For the month of April I've been reading books about rain to the children and they seem to like this one the most because they can read it back to me.




What do you Do? by Mandy Stanley. This book is so cute. It's about animals and what they do. Then at the end of the book it asks the kids what do they do? Gets them to think about what they do. Also it's a great book for them to memorize. The other night my daughter Naomi took the book and started reading it to my mom. It was adorable her interpritation of the book. My mom was hystically laughing.

8 comments:

JoAnn said...

I like the idea of a creative manifesto. I need to check that out and I wish I was organized enough to plan a cooking day. I know lots of mom's who do that and they say it's a life saver. Another thing to add to my looong "to do" list!

heather said...

That cookbook sounds interesting, Tammy gave me a tip about a site that gives recipes with the same idea of cooking and freezing meals. I am trying to solve my too tired to cook dinner dilemna. A month of meals sounds excellent!

Tammy said...

I hate that I don't have a small child to read to anymore. I truely enjoyed that.

Toni said...

I read an outline of the book frozen assets in a magazine, it sounds like a great concept but I work full time and I'm studying and like to have some life so the concept of finding a whole day to just cook is dreaming. I wish I could though as I hate getting home from work tired and trying to figure out what to eat.

Beachcomber said...

I also read children's book, too. My son, whose is in 1st grade, can read but he still wants me to read to him.

Glynis said...

I love the idea of planned cooking, but I can never make myself do it! Good for you!

Karen said...

As someone who hates to cook I think that taking all your cooking pain in one day to free you up during the week is brilliant.

stefani said...

I would be interested to hear how you liked the recipes. I have heard of this book before and it looks like it is something that may work for me. :)