Sunday, April 15, 2007

Childhood Pastime

What was your favorite pastime as a child? Did you prefer doing it alone, or with someone else?

When I was younger I loved to write letters. I had many penpals from all over the world that I would write to. I wrote both short letters and very long letters depending on who I was writing to at the time. I looked forward to receiving mail on a daily basis. I even would make my own stationery using rubber stamps or stickers. I think there was a time that I was writing to like 50 people. Some people I would write for years and then others would only be a short period of time. I wrote for many years until, of course, the internet came into my life.

E-mail took over instead of snail mail. So instead of getting mail from the postman I now get hundreds of e-mails that I sift through on a daily basis. My e-mail is like an obsession. It's something I check 2 or more times a day because the inbox fills up so quickly. There are a few people who I stayed in contact with from my childhood years that I used to write by snail mail but now write to via e-mail instead.

I, however, still hate the phone. I'd much rather receive an e-mail from someone then talk on the phone. So glad we have caller-ID because I never have to run to the phone to answer. I have the phone set up so that it rings differently for my mom and my MIL so those are the really only important calls I don't want to miss other than that I usually let the answering machine pick up and they can leave me a message to call them back. I try to call back within the day if it is at all possible. Some days it may take me a day or so because of my hectic life.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

We had to have a pen pal in Girl Scouts and I just loved that. She was from Japan and in Girl Scouts also. I wonder where she is now??

loonyhiker said...

I'm with you on the email and phone. I love email where you can respond when you have the time and you don't feel like you are ever bothering anyone and they can respond at their leisure. I hate the phone. Hubby has convinced me over the years that I do not HAVE to answer the phone unless I want to (he never talks on the phone unless he has to!). We have an answering machine and caller ID.