Monday, March 17, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

This last week was kind of crazy. Lots of activities so I wound up altering my menu a lot. For Wed we had BBQ Meatballs (using frozen meatballs that I had made at the power cooking event on Monday. This was supposed to be a crock pot recipe but because I had a MOMS night out to go to and had to make an appetizer my crock pot was being used for the Buffalo Chicken Dip from Menus4moms so I wound up doing this on low on my stove for 2 to 3 hours. My husband loved it. I have more meatballs in my freezer so I will be doing this recipe again soon. Has anyone ever had to have 2 crock pots? Wonder if I should invest in another one? Maybe once I get some good recipes for it but at this point I have only a few that we like. I did copy a few from the Thursday posts so hopefully I will be adding more to our meal plan book.

On Thursday when I was supposed to make Beef Roast with Root Vegetables I was crunched for time and wound up doing a different recipe instead. So Thurs I made Coffee-Braised Pot Roast with Caramelized onions in the crock pot. The meat was a little dry but the gravy this made was really good. I probably will make this again. And no it did not taste like coffee.

On Sunday I made Beef Brisket with Smoky BBQ Sauce in the crock pot (recipe below). I really screwed this one up because where it said 1/4 teaspoon of celery seed I put 1/4 teaspoon of celery salt. It was so salty. Oops! We did all eat it though so I will probably make it again but will leave out the celery seed!

Beef Brisket with Smoky BBQ Sauce
1 2 to 3 pound fresh beef brisket
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp pepper

1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs vinegar
2 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp dry mustard

1. Trim fat from brisket. If necessary, cut brisket to fit into crockery cooker.
2. Combine chili powder, garlic powder, celery seed, and pepper; rub evenly over meat. Place meat in crock pot
3. For sauce, combine catchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and dry mustard. Pour over brisket.
4. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat and cut into thin slices. Skim fat off juices in cooker. Serve juices with meat. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Now for next week:
Monday - Beef Stir Fry from 101 Delicious Diabetic Recipes book borrowed from my friend.
Tues - Green Chile Beef Empanadas. Since I have left overs from the roast from Thurs dinner I might as well reuse the meat.
Wed - Swiss Chicken and Corn Casserole
Thurs - Pizza (Dinner with Triplet Moms)
Fri - Easy Meatloaf in Crock Pot
Sat - Left Overs
Sun - Easter Dinner at restaurant

Thanks Laura from I'm an Organizing Junkie in hosting the Menu Plan Monday

1 comment:

Tanya Siekman said...

Wow Laura! You are on top of it! I love the idea of planned menu's, but can't ever stick with it.

I have two crock pots and need to be using them. You have some really good recipes here.

Tanya