Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Round Up - Bedroom

Wow this month went pretty fast but I did get a lot accomplished. We were in the bedroom the entire month organizing and decluttering. Laura at I'm an Organizing Junkie hosts a monthly organizing round-up. She has made a world of difference in my life. It's like she's holding my hand and motivating me every step of the way. Thank you Laura for being there for me I certainly needed that little push in the right direction.

My bedroom before:
Okay, I'm sure you want to see my bedroom before all the changes. On April 2 I made a video of my bedroom before cleaning up. To view my video go here.

My Linen Closet Makeover:
While doing my clean up of my bedroom I changed the sheets on my bed and wound up cleaning out my linen closet along the way. I posted this makeover with photos on my blog here.

My bedroom Makeover:
Now I'm assuming you want to see what I did this month? Here are the changes.

The place where my cat used to sleep I removed all the blankets and washed them. I was going to break up that wire cube thing and get rid of it but with the advice from Laura I now have my scrapbooks displayed in them along with my wedding photo proofs and an 8 x 11 wedding photo of me and my husband that I need to purchase a frame for. This is what it looks like now.

I cleared off the top of my backboard. What I left was 2 boxes of tissues, 2 alarm clocks and two books. The fan also needs to stay because of the noise. Yes, I sleep with a fan every night. I can't sleep unless I have the humming sound. Did you notice I made the bed? Haven't done that in years. Also who's sleeping on my bed?

It's my cat Diamonds. She now thinks that my bedroom is relaxing and sleeps on the bed during the day. Doesn't she look cozy?

Now, for the sitting area. This is where I have the kids clothes. Yes, they do have closets but when they were little they would empty out all the draws which by the way I'm still having that same problem now that they are dressing themselves. I did have to pick up before I took this photo because they toss out all their clothes every day!

In the big rubber maid boxes I have their summer clothes stored. 2 boxes for girls clothes and 2 boxes of boys clothes. I get hand me downs from my sister-in-law and my best friend. In those black bags way in the back are clothes I need to donate because they no longer fit. This month I started to match their shirts with pants and started to hang their clothes. It's a major job so I'm probably will be doing it still next month while we are in the kids rooms. I'm hoping that by doing the matching it will eliminate those clothes that just don't have matches so I can donate them. I'm also hoping that by going into hanging method that I will free up some draw space.

The draws are a major problem. As I mentioned before the kids like to pull everything out and not put back in. I will fold and fold and make it so neat and then get so frustrated to find a mess a day later. Most days I can't tell if the clothes are on the floor are dirty or clean. So I wind up cleaning everything again. It's a never ending nightmare - Laundry.

Back to the dresser. There are 6 draws in their dresser with 2 little draws on each side of the changing table. By the way, we don't use the changing table any more. I need to figure out something to do with that. The dresser should probably be moved back into the girls room. They no longer climb on it so it's probably safe to put back in their room.

At this time the dresser draws include:
Left draws:
Top - Girls
Middle - boys
Bottom - boys

Right draws:
Top - I have 3 dollar store baskets in this draw. One has dance outfits. Middle basket has boy underwear. Last basket has girl underwear. The baskets are small enough that I have some room in the front of them to put stockings and socks.
Middle - Girl's Clothes
Bottom - Girl's Clothes

Their PJ's are on the first floor in the other changing table that we have. My husband thinks I should bring them up and put them in their draws but I just don't have any room. I'm thinking maybe once I get all their regular clothes matched and on hangers and in their real closets maybe then we will have PJ draws!

Here's my start of matching clothes that are clean. These all match with pants and tops all on one hanger. In the yellow bag I have extra hangers. I have a basket in my laundry room too with loose hangers. I did get rid of all the strange hangers I got from stores and went with all plastic ones that match but are in different colors. No rhyme or reason to the colors though? Any ideas? I have a lot of white ones, a little of the following red, yellow, blue and purple.

I got rid of all the appliances that I had except for this air conditioner. I know I should get rid of it but one year our central air broke in the summer and we had to purchase this window one. I guess I'm just afraid it's going to go out again and we can't afford to purchase another one. This is my oldest daughter, Victoria. She's amazed how nice and neat my bedroom looks. Behind her is my Christmas/Hanukkah box filled with gift wrap and gift bags. Once my closet is cleaned out I'll probably move that there. The box is too big to fit under my bed. Bummer! that's where I have my every day wrap. Of course, this part of Justin's bed still resides in my bedroom. I just don't know what to do with it since it goes to his bed. It just has sharp pieces on it and we are afraid to have it in his room.

So there you have it. My new improved bedroom.

If you want to see more bedroom makeovers please visit I'm an Organizing Junkie's blog.

Come back again next month as we attempt to do the kids rooms.

5 comments:

Amy V. said...

Great job! Doesn't it feel good to have the master bedroom cleaner? I really like the idea to match the kiddo clothes into outfits. Will be incorporating that when I hit kiddo rooms.

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Fantastic! You did a great job! I love just walking in and being able to breathe easier! :)

I agree with you that Laura is SO helpful. I am loving this monthly challenge!

Mel said...

Everything looks so spacious! Great job on the tackle!!

Stephanie Kay said...

I use the colored child size hangers in my kids closets. My two boys share a room (and dresser and closet) and my daughter will share when our new baby comes in the fall. All that to say, each child has his/her own color of hanger and section of the closet. It helps Daddy know which shirt goes to which boy. I buy really sturdy ones at Babies R Us 10/$1 (they maybe up to $2 now, it's been a couple of years since I bought any).

Laura said...

Woohoo! Well done, you must be just loving it. I'm so glad you were able to use the shelving unit. It's like shopping right in your own home :)

Now we're moving on to the kid's room!