Saturday, November 04, 2006

Meeting for the First Time

What qualities are you drawn to when meeting someone for the first time? First of all let me tell you that I am very shy and am not likely to strike up a conversation with anyone for the first time. I am normally drawn to the person who doesn't ask a whole bunch of personal questions regarding my fertility issues or ones which say something rude about having multiples. First of all, it's none of their business about my sex life and I just find it very rude when they ask me the very first time they meet me these questions. When in public sometimes I just feel like running for cover as the triplets are such a magnet to strangers. Sometimes I get the most stupidest comments like, "Are they real?", "You have your hands full", "I would never go out of my house" or "I would kill myself if I had triplets." Now, that last comment is so rude especially if my children could understand this statement. Luckily they do not at this time but what in the world am I supposed to tell my children when someone says such a nasty comment? Anyway, the people who I am drawn to are ones who understand how tough it is to raise multiples. They typically are other multiple moms as they are the only ones who knows exactly what I go through day after day.

4 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I have had to deal with insensitive questions in life (about being Chinese, and my eczema problem). If people ask you about the fertility issue, I would counter with the question - Why do you need to know? If they said a hateful comment about having triplets, I would say - Well, maybe that is why God gave them to me instead of you! I'm glad I have them instead of you too!

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you. People can be so rude when it comes to children, especially multiples. while I do not have twins, there is only 13 months between my middle and youngest and everyone thought they were. When they found out the age difference then it was absurd comments about my sex life. Ugh.

Meg said...

Awful! I can imagine that raising triplets is exhausting, but you also get triple the love. The rude, insensitive people will never have the privilege of experiencing that!

Glynis said...

You bring up really good points, and it makes me hope I've never said any of those stupid comments to people...I know it must be crazy chaos at your house, but oh, what wonderful noise!!