Sunday, January 06, 2013

What's For Dinner - Chicken & Calico Beans

I struggle with  meal planning.  I just can't do it.  I have tried but it just does not work for me.  I'm always struggling to get a meal on the table each night.  Tonight it's chicken night.  I always look in freezer to see what we have and then I either try a new recipe or something I've done in the past.  My husband requested this again.  I'm going to share it with you.  Of course, I have picky triplets so I made an additional batch of grilled chicken and am making pasta for those picky ones.

This is one of my husband's favorites:


Chicken & Calico Beans

1 tbsp veg oil
1 onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp prepared Mustard
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I grill it).
1 (16 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (16 oz) can baked beans

1. Preheat oven to 375.  Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat; add onion and celery.  Cook stirring occasionally, until celery is tender about 5 minutes.

2. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar and salt in a small bowl.

3. Add chicken and beans to skillet; stir well.  Pour ketchup mixture over chicken and beans; stir to coat.

4. Spoon mixture into a med casserole.  Bake chicken mixture until hot and bubbly, about 35 minutes.

Variation: If you have white beans or pinto beans on hand, they can be used instead of kidney beans.

Also turkey, ham or pork can be in place of the chicken.

No comments: