Friday, April 13, 2007

Superstitions

Are you superstitious? Does the thought of 'Friday the 13th' make you nervous?

For one thing I was born on Friday the 13th so it really doesn't bother me that it is Friday the 13th. I also like the number 13 as it's my favorite number. However, there are a couple of things that I am superstitious about. For example:

  • Spiders: I believe that if you kill a spider you will get very bad luck. So when I see spiders I either leave them alone or I try to scoop them up and transport them outside without hurting them.
  • Mirrors: Breaking a mirror means 7 years bad luck. I try not to break any mirrors. I don't even carry one in my purse.
  • Nose: If your nose itches then you are going to quarrel with someone. I always seem to have a fight with someone when my nose itches.
  • Palm Itchy: I always believed that when your palm was itchy that money was coming. I just searched the web for superstitions and found this true meaning: If the palm of your right hand is itchy, then it foretells that money is coming to you, but don’t scratch it as that stops the money from coming! If it’s your left palm that is itchy, then scratch away, as that means that you'll soon be paying out money. No wonder why I never got money because I always scratched my hand and probably always had to pay out.
  • Knock on Wood: Whenever I say something and don't really mean it or don't want it to happen to me I knock on wood. The true meaning of knocking on wood: Good Luck: Knock on Wood - It was believed that good spirits lived in trees, and that by knocking on anything made from wood, we could call upon these spirits for protection against misfortune.

    While attempting to write this I found a really cool Superstitions Database. You can search for whatever subject you want and it would give you the superstitious meaning.

5 comments:

Glynis said...

You were born on the Friday 13th? Sounds like that wasn't a bad thing then :) Thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

Very interesting and I always knock on wood and there is one about your ear that someone is talking about you??

JoAnn said...

I think any bad luck is cast away when you are born on Friday the 13th!

loonyhiker said...

I forgot about the itchy palms. And believe it or not, it has come true almost every time for me. And your spider thing reminded me that my parents told me: Chinese believe that it is bad luck to kill a cricket in your house because they never hurt anything and sing beautiful songs. So I always help the cricket and carry it out.

Stephani said...

Well that is totally cool that you were born on a Friday the 13th! And I agree with joann and glynis IT IS DEFINETLY YOUR LUCKY DAY!!!!!